Sep 11, 2010

Vinayaka Chavithi

Vinayaka Chavithi Subhakankshalu (Happy Ganesh Chaturdhi to all)

Since childhood, every year on this day, dad and mom decorated an inverted table, with lot of fruits and leaves. My father would read the mantras himself, (better than any regular priest) and narrate the stories of Lord Ganesha. I used to sit there praying for 1st rank in the class (It was the ultimate objective of life then). This continued all through the school years. The prayers lasted for a good 2 hours. After my father passed away, for the past 7 years, the prayers were spearheaded by mom and were short. I go through that nostalgia for father's prayers every year


Our Ganesha, This year !

This year's prayer procedures were a different. After my mom pulled out the age old mantra book and story book from the cup board, my sister who celebrated her last year's festival in UK had an idea
Do you want to know what the biggest change was? 
The recorded priest from Raaga sang out the mantras and stories out loud
The recording was very much customized for the occassion, where the priest stopped at regular intervals to guide what to do next

I wonder if it is time for virtual priests in some of our regular celebrations

No comments:

Post a Comment