Sep 13, 2010

Azim Premji in Elevator

It was 9:30 PM and time to go home! I was casually humming a tune and waiting for the lazy office lift to come down to 3rd floor. On a typical day, i would see one or two exhausted and half asleep GE employees once the doors opened. But, i was surprised once the elevator doors opened today

I saw a confident old man in grey suit. His white hair was dancing to the air blowing from above
He looked at me through his big spectacles. I took a second to recognize him. I couldn't believe my eyes.   Azim Premji was standing before me, one step away

I walked into the lift, trying to put up a professional smile and stood behind him. I was looking at him top to bottom just when i realized his security guard was staring at me with suspicion. For a moment, i thought to move next to him, introduce myself and give him a shake hand. But the lift hit ground floor pretty fast. I couldn't get my elevator pitch (elevator introduction rather!) ready by then

Azim premji started to leave and looked back for some reason. I smiled back. The lift doors closed and i closed my eyes. The next moment the lift was making some noise. I opened my eyes and was in the basement parking area

Exciting ending to a regular day at office

4 comments:

  1. Cant Believe that you were tongue-tied!
    You better practice ur elevator pitch well.Next time it might just be Steve Jobs !!
    vasuda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha ! Clever...
    If it was Steve Jobs i would have been jumping in the lift with excitement. If i missed talking to him in the lift, i would follow him to the car..
    Wow !! Dreams are so satisfying :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You ran into the world's richest CONMAN! From snake oil salesman to on of India's richest men faster than you can say "Rob America".

    Now if you had met Steve Jobs or Bill Gates in the elevator, I'd be genuinely impressed. But Premji? HAHA!

    ReplyDelete