Mar 8, 2009

Prodigy – What it takes?

When i was reading through the blog of abhilash, one of my campus seniors whom i admire a lot, i stumbled upon this Thirty30 list. It details 30 things he wants to do, before he hits 30 years of age. Very soon i found 30by30 lists by many more people on web. I felt inspired when i saw it. It is always good to have deadlines. I would come up with mine soon.

The post made me go through a series of thoughts. What about those who make it big in child age? Yes, there are a lot of them living in this world. They break all the rules and conceptions of skill Vs (age & experience).

One such example is Nischal, who broke a Guinness record at the age of 11. (Read details here)

I would like to quote another small example i have witnessed in my street at hometown. I did my all my schooling, in a small town called Gudur in Andhra Pradesh, before i went to Pilani. I used to cross a Samuel uncle’s house on my way to catch the school bus. He had a daughter by name Sugandhini. He had a dream to make his daughter a very good singer. He used to take her for music classes everyday and make her participate in all the singing competitions that were happening in Gudur. I remember, people in the street commenting on Samuel uncle, that all his efforts will go in vain. Of course, she wasn’t the best singer in the town.

Recently when i joined job here in Bangalore, i was watching the finals video of “Padalani Undi Juniors – A prestigious music competition by Gemini TV” in you tube & suddenly i was surprised, i could recognize her immediately, one of the finalists was Sugandhini. I guess she was the runner up in the competition. I called my sister immediately and found details. As a child singer, today she has fans all over AP. She has already sung in many events and occasions.

Today, i was watching “Super Singer Juniors” in MAA TV and she is again one of the prospective finalists. Those people in my street who criticized Samuel uncle and Sugandhini, few years back, take pride in seeing a singer from their town on TV.

Prodigy is not always gifted. It comes through commitment, concentration and continuous effort & practice. I bow to the parents of all those wonder kids.

I wont be surprised one day, if Sugandhini becomes a successful playback singer or Album Artist and sets new trends in Indian songs.

5 comments:

  1. @abilash: No wonder you call yourself a web enthusiast. I cant expect a quicker reply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.... this is the difference between excellence and genius.

    we have many excellent kids, but very few genius kids. i do hope that we do not find them, lest their 'genius' is destroyed by over enthusiast parents.

    ReplyDelete