Jan 31, 2009

Chairman & CEO - Just 2 feet away !

Imagine sitting just 2 feet away from the Chairman & CEO of a 195 billion $ company. Wow! this day is gonna be a very memorable day in my life.


Jeffrey R Immelt is the man who runs the company, i work for. After several years, he visited the GE-John F Welch Technology Center, Bangalore today. Everyone in the company were in high spirits. Of course, seeing a legend in real life is definitely a big thing.

Times since i knew about him (even before i joined GE), i have been a fan of Jeff. There would be thousands like me in the JFWTC campus. But, as it happens everywhere, very few people (250 approx) got the invitations to be a part of the auditorium. Though i was desperate to listen to him, being an unimportant chap who joined a sea of scientists and engineers only 6 months back, i was among the last few employees who may receive the invite.

But, where is a will, there is a way. After, a long negotiation with the HR, and after providing logical reasons, i made it. I think i had fabulous luck today & my heart pumped with happiness when i saw the entry coupon in my hand. I sat in the corner of 4th middle row . I noticed a little later that, i was surrounded by senior managers, scientists & business executives. Among them sat a junko, with oily hair and unshaven beard.

What happened later was more than a coincidence. Jeff walked over and stood next to me , just 2 feet away, and delivered 80% of the presentation approximately in an arc with me as the center, and a radius of 2 feet.

It was a Wow! feeling. I could feel the positive energy diffusing into me as he spoke. His charisma entertained & inspired everyone in the auditorium. This post would be endless, if i wish to capture the experience i went through. Today is definitely gonna be memorable day in life.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Must have been an amazing experience ! Maybe one day ull get a chance to be like him . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoyed the experience. May be you should put some similar situation in one video of yours! If you have plans for the kind of movie, you discussed with me long back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome !!!

    I liked the part where u convinced the HR for letting u in...I'm sure u can convince anyone of anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mahesh, hope you are doing well.

    Yeah, sometimes a small initiative will make all the difference. I dont think i have skills to convince 'anyone'. But, this time it some how worked out !

    ReplyDelete